Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Are they learning?....Yes, they are!

As a Christian parent, my ultimate goal is to teach my children to love Christ and to love each other. Sometimes, I get very discouraged. At times, it seems like they just don't listen at all. And then there are times I think, "how can I teach them anything when I can't even get my act together." The hard core truth? We are all sinners and it doesn't matter how hard I try, I am going to fall from time to time. Ideally, God would not let my children see me fall:)...Unfortunatly, they do see it though, and far more often than I like to admit. It is during these times that my chidren, like it or not, are watching me to see how I will handle the situation. This is when they are learning...and is quite possibly why they have many bad habits, but I hope is also part of the reason they are learning to have a softer heart and to "think before acting"!

When the kids get rowdy and are not getting along, it's hard to tell that we are a Christian family...one thing always leads to another...and eventually, it all comes crashing down. Are they really learning any of the Godly characteristics we are trying to instill in them?

Sure they are, you just have to listen closer!

When "Sunshine" is getting in trouble, she starts singing to tune me out, which adds fuel to the fire...but wait, what's she singing?...Jesus Loves Me. She may not know how to obey her parents yet, but at least she's learning Jesus Loves Her.

8 kids around the dinner table argueing really loudly. But listen closer...what are they argueing about?....Who's turn is it to pray?

What songs are they singing annoyingly loud when they are in the shower? songs from church?...they are learning!

How many times during the week do they drive you crazy asking if today is the day we go to church? ...they are learning!

When you have prayer time, give each child an opportunity to tell you something they would like prayer for. 9 times out of 10, they want prayer for a friend or family member, not themselves....learning compassion and learning to pray!

When you have had a bad week, kids are fighting, mom is a big grizzly bear, dad is wondering if it will ever end.....sit down in front of your kids and apologize to them and discuss the issue at hand....this started a chain reaction of apologies at our house. Mom to Child, child to child, child to mom, dad was in there somewhere...tears flowing, hugs...I've never seen more sincere times of siblings asking for and receiving forgivness from each other...they are learning!

And then there are the times that they ask questions about God and listen to what you have to say and ask more!...because they want to learn!

And the most precious of all?....when they have listened and learned and want to continue learning, and they get on their knees and tell God that they sin too and need him to live in their hearts to make it clean. It's different for everyone...some make this decision very young, some are very old. Regardless of age, they are learning!


So, once again, when you wonder if your child is learning to be Christlike...if you have made the effort, yes, of course they are learning! Just listen closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment