Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Don't....I mean DO call me mom! .

How many times during the day or the week do you find yourself ignoring the little person beside you going, "mom, mom, mom, MOMMY?" How many times do you say, "Mom has left the building" or "That's not my name anymore." I don't know that this happens at my house EVERY day, but it would be safe to say it happens regularly....almost every day:)

I get so frustated when my kids demand attention that is not convenient for me.

My thought today?....To be called "Mom" is such a magnificent thing. I mean, I waited years for someone to call me this. As a step/foster/adoptive mom, this something that you do not always get the luxury of having. And sometimes you have to be the "closet mom"..meaning that they only call you mom at your house, but in public or when speaking to someone else about you, they call you by your real name. When you reach the point of being called "mom" from the inside-out, it is such a wonderful thing! My newly adopted Kids have recently started calling me "Mom" and not regularly until the actual adoption occured. When they say it (and they are school age) it makes me smile and think "that's right, I'm your mom now". What's more, is it grips my heart to see the satisfaction on their faces and lips when they call me "Mom"...It almost like they say it to see if I will respond, to see if I really am going to be the Mom who stays and takes care of and protects and listens to them. They are happy when the see that "Yeah, they do have a mom now!"

Next time my kids won't stop with the "mom, mom, mom, mom" thing, I am going to try really, really hard to take a second to appreciate the name and consider how important it is that my kids call me MOM before I let frustration take control.

No comments:

Post a Comment